Timothy said in a deposition given in August, 1833 contained in the pension records cited in footnote 2 that he was living in Worcester, Mass. When a volunteer company was organized in Southway in Worcester County in the spring of 1775 and he joined the company around the first of April of that year. The company was commanded by Captain Josiah Faye. On the 19th of April, the day of the battles at Lexington and Concord, the company was ordered to proceed to Cambridge.
The original of the Militia Roll for Capt. Faye's company for the "Alarm" of April 19th, 1775 is in the Massachusetts State Archives at Crown Point, south of Boston. The original does not contain Timothy's name.
Timothy also stated in his depositions that when they got to Cambridge, they were attached to a regiment commanded by Col. Jonathan Woods and that the army collected there was commanded by Gen. Artemas Ward until the arrival of General Washington. All this is consistent with Revolutionary War history.
While at Cambridge, General Ward and many of the militia were housed in Harvard's buildings and in the fields surrounding the town.
Timothy stated that he was at the battle of Bunker Hill which took place on June 17, 1775 and remained with the regiment at Cambridge and Dorchester Heights until April 4, 1776 when they were ordered to New York City. Bunker and Breed's hills commanded Boston from the north and Dorchester Heights from the south during the siege which ended when the British withdrew to Halifax on Saint Patrick's day, 1776. The militia marched to New London, Conn. And proceeded by water to New York, arriving April 22, 1776. Two weeks earlier, Col. Webb's 19th Foot (and Nathan Hale) had taken the same route. They stayed there until about the first of August when they were compelled to retreat to Long Island.
They stayed there only a few days engaging in several skirmishes with the enemy and were again ordered to retreat to about 10 miles from New York at some "heights" (probably Harlem Heights) where they stayed for about a month and then were ordered to march to White Plains in Westchester Co.
After about 20 days, they marched to Peekskill. In December of that year, a detachment commanded by General Heath which included Timothy was detailed to go to New Jersey. They went as far as Hackensack and then returned to Peekskill. He stayed there until the regiment was disbanded in January, 1777.
Electa's obituary supports the pension records in identifying Timothy's wife as Chloe. According to a deposition contained in the pension file and made by his wife in 1847 when she made claim to survivor's rights to his pension, Timothy Johnson married Chloe Bennett on May 28, 1776 at Hartford, Vt.
The year is a problem since Timothy should have still be in New York. However, the undisciplined coming and going of militia members had been a serious problem in the Boston campaign, especially during the planting and harvesting periods. It may have also been a problem in New York.
In any event, she stated that the pastor was the Rev. Isaiah Potter of Lebanon, N.H. Lebanon is across the Connecticut River from White River Junction, Vt. and we can establish that a Bennett family lived in this area. The Congregational Church in Lebanon is still active and present day church records indicate that Mrs. Timothy Johnson became a member during Rev. Potter's ministry. He was also the first chaplain at Dartmouth College, just north of Lebanon. His ministry records in a bank vault in Lebanon and may not be accessed.
A few years later, a Timothy Johnson is listed on the payroll of Capt. Joshua Hazen's company of Col. Wood's regiment which marched to Brookfield north and west of Royalton, in October, 1780. Tucker characterizes this roll as "the only record extant of the names of the citizens of Hartford in 1780." Our belief that this is our Timothy rests only on the prominence of the Bennett name in Tucker's history of Hartford. Tucker also says that Timothy marched in Hazen's company on March 9, 1781, in response to an Indian raid at Peachem.
"The Vermont Antiquarian", vol. 1, page 21, also says that Hazen's muster roll was from Hartford, Vt. "Vermont Heads of Families" has one Timothy (in Pomfret} in 1790. Vail notes that this Timothy did not stay long and that his taxes were abated in 1796. The Vermont family had 3 males under 16, consistent with Justin, Cyrus and Zebina, and 2 females, consistent with Chloe and Hannah. It is important to remember, however, that Massachusetts and Connecticut had several Timothy Johnson's as heads of families in 1790 as well.
Assuming that all of these references are to our Timothy, we have him marrying Chloe in Hartford in 1776, leaving the military in 1777 and leaving in the Hartford area for a short period in the early 1790's when, possibly, he moved a bit north to Pomfret and later to Dorset.
We note, incidentally, that Timothy's pension application was returned on Nov. 19, 1833 with objections to be removed before the pension could begin. On November 21, 1833, he collected his first payment of $199.99 with the next annual payment to begin March 6, 1834 at the rate of $66.66 per year.
In Calvin Johnson's biographical essay , he states that Timothy's wife was Electa (!) And that they had the following children: Justin, Cyrus, Bina, Newcamp and Electa. He had his aunts and uncles partially right. Timothy's children were:
Justin, born circa Nov. 1778
Zebina (sometimes Sabina), born 1787
Hannah, born 1791
Electa, born 1-1-1792
Silas Newcomb, born circa 1795
As noted at greater length in the paragraphs under Electa's name, the family seems to have been at Dorset, Vermont in the 1790's and, in 1800, the family lived near Johnsburg, New York. Johnsburg is located in the Adirondack Mountains in Northern New York in what is now called Warren County but was then known as Washington County. The 1800 census indicates a family headed by a Timothy Johnson living in or near Johnsburg but no proof exists that this is the same Timothy. Further, a historical marker near the church and cemetery in Johnsburg indicates that the community did not take the name Johnsburg until some 10 - 15 years later. We can't guess how Electa might have known the later name.
Electa recalled a dance at their house at which an old veteran of the Revolutionary War played the fife for the dance. One of the party discharged his pistol up the chimney, bringing down the soot. Might the dance have been a New Year's party?
They came to Port Hope by sleighs, touching at Wolfe Island, thence to Kingston and Belleville where they spent the winter and arrived at Smith's Creek, as Port Hope was then known, in 1803.
Neither Timothy nor Justin appear on the tax rolls for Hope Township for the period 1802 -1809. In 1813, Timothy is listed for the first time . In 1814 and 1815, he is listed as having no land but a few livestock - two horses and later a few cows.
The tax rolls for 1816 indicate that Timothy acquired 30 acres of Lot 15, Concession 4, of which 5 were cultivated. The sale of the land to Timothy doesn't show up on the abstract index until January 15, 1824. A somewhat more detailed history of the land transactions involving Lot 15 is set forth under Justin's history. A Lot is a parcel one mile long and wide enough to contain 200 acres. A Concession is a one-mile wide band of Lots stretching across the county. The roads running along the boundary of a Concession might frequently referred to as "Concession 4" rather than by a name.
A ledger for Elias Smith's store for the period 1825-30 records an entry for Timothy, charging him for carding 9 pounds of wool and for 12 3/4 pounds of coloring.
The abstract index indicates that on May 2, l840, Timothy sold 18 acres in the southeast part of Lot 15 to Silas N. Johnson. However, the index also says that a month later, June 5, Justin purchased back from Timothy 30 of the 36 acres he had previously sold Timothy in 1824.
Evidently, in June of 1840, Timothy, accompanied by Chloe and Electa, went to Buffalo to apply for a pension under the act of 1836.
Timothy died September 25, 1840. Calvin says in the biography previously cited that Timothy died suddenly, that he had gone for a walk after tea and was found dead some time later. We must keep in mind that while Calvin may have had some memory of this event he was not quite six years old at the time.
Electa's obituary says he was buried in the Presbyterian Kirkyard and a Port Hope Guide article published just after Memorial Day, 1899, covers a ceremony of remembrance at the grave.
This church eventually closed; it still stands today and is now a small apartment building. The Kirkyard fell into complete disrepair. At some point, a local history group gathered up the bits and pieces of the gravestones and put them into a small concrete wall at the rear of the lot.
At some point, Timothy's stone was moved from the Kirkyard to the lot in the Welcome Cemetery where Electa and her husband, Timothy Haskill, are buried. As Electa died in 1898 and the stone apparently was in its original resting place in 1899, perhaps Electa's daughter had the stone moved.
Chloe is said to have died at 92 but we don't know when or where. We know that Chloe lived at least until June, 1848, when Electa gave a deposition in connection with Chloe's attempt as a widow to collect Timothy's pension. A deposition given by Zebina in November, 1852 seems to indicate that Chloe was then deceased.
Timothy's story doesn't finally conclude until 1899 when the Commercial Agent for the USA in Port Hope wrote to the Pension Board in June, 1899 inquiring about Timothy's service record. It seems that local "U.E. Loyalists" were claiming that Timothy founght on the British side and that one of Timothy's grand-daughters, certainly Mary Haskill Doney, had responded that she had to take care of Timothy and Chloe's place while they had gone to Buffalo in 1840.
We suspect that someone took offense to the Memorial Day article in the Port Hope Guide but can't imagine who or why.
Justin and Lucy's children were: Lucinda, born December 13, 1815 ; Cyrus, born February 24, 1818 ; Eliza, born Oct 12 or 20, 1820, depending on the source ; Alden, born August 24, 1824 ; Harriet, born July 10, 1829 and Calvin, born June 24, 1834, per his biography, previously cited.
Our first glimpse of Justin is a fascinating one. Listen to this account in the March 25, 1870 issue of the Port Hope Guide under the heading "Reminiscences of the Earliest Settlement of Port Hope."
"It will probably not be uninteresting to mention here a mysterious instance of hallucination which our hero* experienced in 1808, in the presence of Mr. Nicholas Motzler, better known as "Uncle Nick". Mr. Juston Johnson (sic), who is stilling living in the township, was chopping on the Caldwell's arm (sic) on the lake road, now occupied by J. B. Hall, Esq., and was expected to finish his contract by three o'clock in the afternoon by Uncle Nick with whom he was boarding. But while conversing with another man in the presence of young Sculthorpe, near the saw mill, about eleven a.m., Uncle Nick was astonished to see Johnston (sic) cross the beam which spanned the creek where now stands the bridge at the foot of Walton Street, with his axe on his shoulder.
"Losing sight of him when near the distillery of Elias Smith, Jr., a little south of the old log malt house, near where the Royal Hotel is now situated, he sent young Sculthorpe to see why he had come so early, when, to the amazement of all, he was not to be found, nor had he been seem by any of the men. Mr. Johnston (sic) returned at the appointed time, only to share in the general astonishment which the mysterious occurrence had created". * meaning James Sculthorpe, Esq., as a young boy.
On November, 1, 1809, per the abstract index previously cited, Justin bought Lot 15 of Concession 4 from Myndert Harris although the grant from the Crown to Mr. Harris was not registered until June 30, 1810. In 1810, Justin appears on the tax rolls for the first time. The tax rolls indicate that all 200 acres were uncultivated in 1810 and 1811. The 1812 and 1813 rolls report 8 acres under cultivation.
According to Belden's Historical Atlas of Northumberland and Durham Counties, Justin and his father answered a militia call in Port Hope for the war of 1812. Timothy would have been 60; we have no indication that he actually served and we think Belden misread his source and a pledge of allegiance was given instead.
Justin, however, was 34 and we have from Harold Brooking of Traherne, Manitoba, a descendent from Electa, a photo-copy of the muster roll of Captain John Burn's Company of the First Regiment of the Durham Militia indicating that Private Justin Johnson served at least from October 25, 1812 until January 16, 1813, when he was discharged.
The militia in Upper Canada consisted of men between 18 and 45 who were required to turn out for six days each month to drill and there were about 1,800 in total in Upper Canada. It does not appear likely that Justin was ever called upon for actual service as the Battle of Queenston was concluded some time before the dates above.
Mr. Brooking also provided a copy of the petition to the Provisional Lieutenant Governor for land based on Justin's military service. The petition includes a statement from Captain John Burns to the effect that Justin had served faithfully and well. He also certified that Justin had taken the oath of allegiance June 17, 1815.
The petition was read in Council July 17, 1816 and Justin Johnson received a lease of Crown Reserve land located on Lot 16, Concession 4, paying 1 pound, 12 shillings, 6 pence. He now controlled 400 acres of land.
In 1824, Justin sold 36 acres (the southwest corner) of his lot to his father. This land was sold back to Justin in 1840, three months before Timothy died although the sale wasn't registered in 1864.
In 1841, Justin sold the 134 acres north of the Ganaraska River to Peter Milligan for 425 pounds, taking a 170 pound mortgage. March 16, 1843, Justin bought 100 acres, the east half of Lot 22, Concession 4. He continued to hold this land until death, leaving it to Calvin.
According to the Port Hope Guide of August 27, 1852 , Justin plus John Agar, Sr. and Jr., petitioned Nathan Choate, township reeve, to call a township meeting concerning construction of the Port Hope and Peterborough Railroad.
According to the 1860 census, Justin and Lucy were affiliated with the Church of England.
In January, 1861, Justin made out his will, leaving his land to Calvin Johnson and sums of money to the rest of the children .
In January, 1865, Lucy Johnson died and was buried in Canton Cemetery. In March, 1870, Justin sold a fraction of Lot 22, Concession 4 to James Elliott for $10 and, on May 23, he died and was buried with Lucy in Canton Cemetery.
We are greatly indebted to Mrs. Edna Barrowclough of Port Hope for the news paper article in the Port Hope Guide on the occasion of Electa's 100th birthday and for a picture of Electa taken on her 100th birthday and to Helen Fowler Rogers of Royston, B.C. for a picture of Justin and Lucy. The recitation of the incidents in her life which she gave at her 100th birthday party form a substantial portion of the history of the movements of the Johnson family.
In the news article, Electa stated that she was born January 1, 1792 in Dorset, Vt. She indicated that Dorset was divided into three parts - East, North and South. Today, in Bennington County, there are four communities - Dorset, East Dorset, North Dorset, and South Dorset.
There was a stream of water running across her father's land and he had a saw and grist mill. When Electa was five, a boy named Stephen Moss brought a load of grist to the mill and, while waiting for it, went out onto the mill pond on some boards and was drowned. She mentions playing with Pember Warner who lived near by in Dorset and later moved to Port Hope.
Mills continued to exist west of Dorset for many years and pictures of them may be found in the Historical Museum there. Today the pond is maintained by a sportsman's club as a fishing pond for youngsters. Traces of a mill race still exist. Someone has noted on the file at the Historical Museum at Dorset that the Johnson's lived near Soper's Tavern in South Dorset but we do not know who made the note or its source.
There is also a cryptic note that "she" escaped the Royalton massacre and observed it from behind a rock. This couldn't have been Electa as the raid occurred in 1780 and it probably wasn't Chloe. There is good evidence that neither the Johnson nor Bennett families lived at Royalton at the time. On the other hand, Timothy's march to Brookfield in Joshua Hazen's company in Oct. 1780 may have been in response to the raid.
It is interesting to note that there were a number of Warner's and Throop's serving under Ethan Allan in his militia known as the "Green Mountain Boys" and the attendees at Electa's 100th birthday a century later included a large number of Throop's.
Nathaniel Haskill came to Port Hope in 1795 and Electa married his son, Timothy Curtis Haskill, born June 1788.
In her recitation, Electa mentions that "We went onto our farm in 1819 (near Mr. Moore Fanning's farm.)" According to a letter from a descendant, Harold Brooking of Traherne, Manitoba, Electa and Timothy farmed Nathaniel's farm two miles west of Port Hope. Electa mentions being on the farm for 49 years and then in town for 40 years, i. e. on the farm from 1803 to 1852 and then in town from 1852 to 1892. A possible explanation is that she married Timothy Haskill in 1819. In 1819, he would have been 31 and she 27.
She evidently started an almanac in 1818 which was available to be seen at the birthday party. The ultimate disposition of this diary is tantalizing and troublesome. The answer, perhaps, lies in discovering the disposition of the assets of her daughter, Mary Doney, whom we will discuss later.
Electa's children were: Curtis L., the eldest, who had died just before Electa's 100th birthday; Harvey, born circa 1821; Mary, born 1820, 1823 or 1825, depending on the source.
In 1822, St. Mark's Church (then known as St. John's) was built and Electa indicated that she attended worship there under Bishop Stewart although the Craick histories of Port Hope consulted do not mention his name among those who served at St. Mark's . St. John's records held at the Anglican Archives seem to suggest that he was a visiting pastor from Cobourg.
Timothy and Electa appear in the records of St. Mark's on Sept. 25, 1834 when they witnessed the marriage of Samuel Lutes and Mary Nichols.
Timothy died in November, 1868, aged 80 years and 5 months. In the 1871 census, we find Electa living with her daughter and son-in-law, John and Mary Doney, in Port Hope.
September 24, 1898, at the age of 105, Electa Newcombe Johnson Haskill died and was buried at the Welcome Cemetery with her husband, Timothy. Sometime subsequent to Memorial Day, 1899 - as stated earlier - Timothy Johnson's stone (and his remains?) were moved from the Presbyterian Kirkyard to the Haskill plot.
In 1847, he witnessed the wedding of Alden Johnson and Mary Ann Lee. In March, 1857, Silas N. Johnson sold 80 acres of Lot 16 to Henry Edwin Johnson for 80 pounds.
October 10, 1861, Henry Edwin Johnson sold his 80 acres of Lot 16 to Richard Purdy for 125 pounds. In September, 1863, Silas sold the remaining 120 acres to Matthew Bragg for $4,800. Today, the Currelly family owns all of Lot 16 and the 134 acres of Lot 15 north of the Ganaraska River and have a very nice farm. Lot 15, south of the river, is broken up into several parcels sold to various people.
Cyrus Johnson's Line
Our Culver materials are rather skimpy. Moses Culver's mother, Lydia, had bought the north 100 acres of Lot 18, Concession 3 from Benjamin Marsh in 1816 and, consequently, was a close neighbor of Justin. Moses was born in 1796; Mary Ann was born in Binghamton, NY in 1824 and the family moved to Port Hope circa 1831.
Cyrus and Mary Ann's first child, Carrie Ann, was born June 29, 1853. On October 7, 1858, Wilbur was born. According the 1860 Census, Cyrus was a carpenter and he and Mary Ann were affiliated with the Bible Christian Association. By 1900, this group had become part of the Methodist Church which later merged into The United Church.
Around 1871 - 2 there moved to the Elsie, Michigan area the following families: Cyrus and Mary Ann Johnson; Mary Ann's parents, Moses and Caroline Flair Culver; her sister and brother-in-law, Alfred and Julia Culver (it appears Alfred was an unrelated Culver, there were at least three such families); her brother and sister-in-law, Harrison and Aurelia Culver.
Her sister and brother-in-law, Jane and Joseph Cunningham, stayed in Hope Township. Later, after Jane's death, Joseph and their daughter, Adelina, also moved to Elsie and Adelina married Wilbur's wife's brother, Fred Darling. Joseph, who was born in Ireland in 1819 was living in Fred Darling's house when he died.
All of these families settled in close proximity to each other near the town of Elsie in Clinton County. Alfred's father was Abraham Culver; the idea that Moses and Abraham should have entwined families is fascinating but we've sought and found no evidence that they were related.
On October 31, 1880, Cyrus died and was buried at Riverside Cemetery, in Elsie. On February 2, 1898, Mary Ann died and was buried beside Cyrus.
Wilbur Johnson, my grandfather, was born Oct. 7, 1858. On June 25, 1881, according to "DAR", he married Annette Luella Darling. Annette's father was Oscar Wales Darling. His family had come originally from New York to Ohio and had lived there for several years before moving to Michigan in 1854. Her mother was Charlotte Maria Tillotson. The Tillotson family is remarkably well documented. The first Tillotson in North America arrived in Massachusetts in the 1630's and was a second cousin of John Tillotson, Archbishop of Canterbury from 1691 until his death.
Annette was born November 7, 1861 (DAR) near Elsie. Fred Darling, mentioned elsewhere was, her brother.
Wilbur and Annette had eight children, five of whom lived to adulthood. Perhaps the first was a female stillborn in 1882. Nothing is known at this point of two other infants except that my uncle, Carroll Johnson, once told his grand-daughter, Jean Udell Lazar, that two children were buried on the farm in Mancelona, Mi.
The first to live to adulthood was a daughter, Goldie, who was born April 5, 1885. When Goldie was a few weeks old, Wilbur loaded his family and furniture into a wagon and drove them to largely unsettled Northern Michigan and acquired a farm there, west, of Mancelona, in Antrim County. The Mancelona Herold of June 4, 1885 copied an extract from the Ovid Union saying that Wilbur who had lived north of there for many years, had purchased a farm in Mancelona
In August, 1891, he and another man went to Aberdeen S.D. for two months seeking harvesting work.
The children who lived to adulthood were Queenie, Bond, Clair and Carroll. On July 30, 1902, a son died in premature birth and on August 5, Annette died as well. A couple months after the death of Annette and the son, Wilbur hired a fellow to fell some trees on his property. Wilbur worked with the man until noon and left to attend to other affairs. When he returned late in the day, he was surprised to discover that no one had seen the workman. He organized a search party and found the man dead, killed by a falling tree that had "kicked back."
In his later years, Wilbur suffered from Angina. On November 13, 1929, he rode his bicycle to the doctor's office, suffering with pain. He died there.
Harrison Lewis was born April 9, 1876, married Letta Ballantine on Nov. 9, 1898 and died Sept. 4, 1933. Letta was born Jan. 17, 1876 and died _____.
Effie Ann Lewis was born May 3, 1885, married Archie Ballantine on July 20, 1906 and died Mar. 5, ____. Archie was born July 26, 1869 and died July 4, 1930.
Ward Lewis was born in 1892, married Agatha ____ and had three children. He died in 1968.
They had seven children: Freda, Earl, Fay, Eva, Donald, Dorothy and James.
Queenie Johnson was born Nov. 11, 1888 and died Jan. 20, 1911. She apparently was anemic, became extremely ill while attending school at Eastern Michigan in Ypsilanti. She probably attended the "Normal School" in Mancelona and had intended to be a teacher.
Bond Johnson was born May 6, 1893 and died Jan. 20, 1982. On April 25, 1915, he married Bertha Ludwig who was born 1898 and died 1978. They had two children, Harley and Harold.
Clair Johnson, my father, was born Sept. 10, 1895. On Aug. 29, 1917, he married Gladys Wood at the Methodist parsonage in Mancelona. Gladys was a daughter of Chester Wood and Effie Jeanette Vansaw. Chester's father, Amos, was one of the first two white settlers in Elk Rapids in 1851. Like descendants of Timothy Johnson, descendants of Amos and his wife, Edith, are potential members of DAR or SAR. Several Wood descendants have already joined. No Johnson descendants have, to my knowledge.
Gladys was born Aug. 29, 1898 in Elk Rapids. After her mother died in 1906, Chester "put the children out" as the expression went then and Gladys grew up with people in Mancelona.
They had three children, Eleanor, Arden and Elden. Eleanor was struck by a car driven by a traveling salesman from Saginaw at Christmas time. She was sledding down the drive and went out into M-88. She was killed.
Clair had worked for the Antrim Iron Co. They had lived in Mancelona until the Depression came and there was no work and they had moved to the farm where Eleanor was killed. Eventually there was work again and they moved back to Mancelona.
The Antrim Iron Co. closed for good in 1944 and in October of that year the family moved to Mt. Pleasant. Arden had joined the Army Air Corp when the war began. Clair worked at the Roosevelt Refinery in Mt. Pleasant until he retired in 1963.
Carroll Johnson was born Dec. 19, 1897. He married Ruth Pearsall. They had 10 children: Bonnie, Marilyn, Carol Elaine, Queenie, Donna Jean, Beryl John, Donald Ora, Robert Gayle, Alice Jo, and Connie. In addition, there were over 40 grandchildren and over 60 great-grandchildren.
Earl E. was born Sept. 15, 1906. On August 8, 1937, in South Bend, Ind., he married Florence B. Haynor, who was born Sept. 23, 1910. They had one child, Donald A. (Barbara) of Harrison, Mich. and two grandchildren, Patrick and Annlyn. They lived in Mt. Pleasant, Mich. where Earl sold State Farm Insurance. Earl had such a gregarious, friendly nature that he was a natural
success at what he did. While Earl was the one everybody loved, Florence was the natural leader, involved in many community affairs. She died Jan. 25, 1989. Earl died sometime prior to November, 1997.
Fay L. was born Feb. 28, 1908, married Lawrence "Shorty" Marks April 19, 1930. He was born May 17, 1907 and died Oct. 5, 1976. They lived in Central Lake, Mich. Fay died August 30, 1994 at Meadow Brook Medical Care Facility in Bellaire. She was a member of the Congregational Church, the Lioness Club and the Order of the Eastern Star. She had worked for the canning factory in Central Lake for many years. Apparently Fay and Shorty had lived in Detroit for some period and returned to Central Lake in 1948.
Eva B. was born Aug. 18, 1909 and married Wilber F. Shriveline who was born in Ohio in 1907 and died in 1963 in Central Lake. For some reason everybody called him "Ham." They lived in Central Lake, across the street from Eva and Shorty. The had three girls: Judy Lynne, who married Robert Hoopfer and lives in Lady Lake, Fl.; Shirley Kay who married Paul McDowell and also lives in Lady Lake, Fl. and Linda Sue (Lockhart) of Central Lake. Eva was a member of the Congregational Church and the Lioness Club. On September 1, 1966, she married Donald E. Seyfried. She died November 23, 1997 at Munson Medical Center in Traverse City, Mi.
Donald C. was born April 26, 1915, married Vera H. Rotter Aug. 21, 1942 and died Jan. 1, l971. Vera was born Jan. 21, 1917. The had four children: Brent Charles, who lived only 3 days; Marilyn Judith; Jean Carolyn and David Alan.
Dorothy was born May 21, 1920 and married Robert Doyle on Feb. 14, 1943 in New Orleans. Robert was born Dec. 4, 1920 in Brooklyn, NY and served during WWII in the Navy. They had three children: Robert James of Alpena; Sue Ann, who married Robert Eller and lives in Alpena and Sally Jean (Engle) of Petoskey. They moved to Alpena, Mich. in 1952 where he owned and operated Doyle Standard Service until he retired in 1982. Dorothy died Dec. 15, 1993 at Alpena General Hospital.
Robert, who was usually called "Cy", served on the City Council for eight years, was a past director at First Federal Savings and Loan, a member of the Chamber of Commerce, the VFW, the Kiwanis and outdoor sports clubs. He died at home on December, 17, 1997 of an apparent heart attack.
James M. was born July 3, 1922 and married Margaret Peterson on March 20, 1948. She was born May 29, 1922. They had one child, Tad James. As of November, 1997, they lived at Houghton Lake, Mi.
Harold married Pauline _____. They had seven children: Vicki, Susie, Rickie, Janice, Mike, Terry and Patt.
Arden C. was born Dec. 29, 1922. Upon graduation from high school in 1940, he went to Detroit to find work, first with Hudson's and later with Michigan Bell Telephone. In 1941, when the war began, he enlisted in the Army Air Corp.
When Arden returned to civilian life in 1946, he rejoined Michigan Bell. He married Doris Westwick in 1948 and they have two sons, Arden Neal, a medical doctor practicing at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak; and Glen Lee, a psychologist practicing in Traverse City, Mich. Neal and his wife, Ruth Spencer, have three children.
Elden Jan was born Dec. 13, 1935. Elden attended public school in Mancelona and Mt. Pleasant and graduated from Central Michigan University in 1957. He worked for public accounting firms in Detroit until November, 1958, when he enlisted in the army. He married Sally Jean Baker in May, 1959 while stationed at Fort Huachuca, Arizona, on the Mexican border, southeast of Tucson.
He was transferred to Ankara, Turkey in 1960 and served there until his discharge in 1962. Upon his return to the U.S., he worked briefly for Gar Wood Industries in Wayne, Mich. In 1964, he joined Ford Credit in Dearborn. During this period, Elden and Sally adopted Amy, born Oct. 20, 1963, and Peter, born Aug. 11, 1985.
This marriage ended in December, 1971, when Elden and Sally separated. Divorce was granted in February, 1973. Elden met and married Carol Lyn Niswander in November, 1977. When Elden retired in 1994, they sold their home in Redford and moved back to Antrim County where they had acquired 18.5 acres of relatively isolated forest land and built a home.
Marilyn married Leroy Udell and had four children: Jean Marie, Frank Leroy, Susan Ruth, and James Carroll.
Carol Elaine married twice. first to ____ Warfield and later to Patrick John Stratton. There were two children by the first marriage and seven by the second: Dennis Gordon, Dean Jerome, Laurie Jo, Lynn Marie, Michael Irving, Carrie Michell, Kim Raechele, Kelly Jean and Louann Elaine.
Queenie married Oscar Stabley and had 5 children: Joyce Charlene, John David, Judy Ann, Frank Carroll and Christine Kay.
Donna Jean married Donald Duane Quibell and had three children: Jerry Dale, Tracy Jane and Cheryl Lee.
Beryl John married Betty Lou Clingan and had four children: Brenda Sue, Lynda Gale, Beryl Ann and Myra Lynn.
Donald Ora married Elinor Wyres and had three children: Marsha Sue, James Donald and Nancy Jean. He worked for Pontiac Division of GM for 44 years until he retired. Elinor ran a travel-tour business for several years.
Alice Jo married Daniel Malboeuf and later Roger Baker and had seven children by Malboef and two by Baker: Connie Lynn, Daniel James, Timothy Duane, Ann Marie, Dennis Gary, Carol Christine, Kenneth Bruce, Jane Marie and Roger Bruce.
Connie Sue married ---- Flannery and had three children: Cathy Lynn, Randy Kevin and Bruce Allen
Justin and Lucy's first child, Lucinda Johnson, was born in 1816 according to her gravestone in Chatham or December 13, 1815 according to records developed by LeFontaine Johnson, Calvin's son. Her husband-to-be, John Agar, Jr. was born in 1816 in Yorkshire, England. John, Sr. was born in Yorkshire in 1785 and married Hannah Sanderson in 1806. John, Sr. and Hannah had at least seven children and took their family to Canada when John, Jr. was 14.
According to St. John's records1, Lucinda married John Agar Oct. 25, 1838. John C. was born circa 1839; Harriet was born approximately Jan. 28, 1842 and died March 19, 1852. William was born May 27, 1846 and died June 29, a month later. Both are buried in the Canton cemetery near Justin and Lucy. Sidney Sanderson Agar was born Oct. 10, 1847.2
On Oct. 19, 1853, John, Jr. and his brother-in-law, Benjamin Scaman, each bought 100 acres of Lot 21, Concession 3 from King's College for 225 pounds; Benjamin taking the north half and John the south half.3
In "Kent", Sidney casts some light on this by saying through the reporter "and after some time, in partnership with a brother, Mr. Agar bought 200 acres of part timber land, with a mill, and for a number of years carried on the lumber business in connection with farming. When he sold out, he came to the present home..."
On Dec. 17, 1870, John sold his 100 acres to Luke Martin, taking a $4500 mortgage against the $5000 price.
Thus, we are able to locate the move to Chatham twp. to a two-year period between Dec. 17, 1870 and Dec. 25, 1982 when Sidney married a Chatham girl, Cordelia Knapp.
According to "Kent", he was county and township councilor for four years. John and Lucinda are described as consistent member of the Methodist church.
John moved from the farm to the city of Chatham in January of 1873 or 1874, made his will on Jan. 19, 1874 and on Jan. 21, died there. According to the copy I secured from the County Registry, Lucinda got the house, household goods and $200 per year. Sidney got the farm and the obligation to pay the $200 to Lucinda. John C. got "land interests in Port Hope and Darlington" and the obligation to pay Lucinda $200 per year out of their proceeds.
While we don't know the particulars about "Darlington", on May 13, 1876, Lucinda disposed of her interest in the mortgage to William L. Hunt. In August, 1864, John, Sr. had left a portion of lot 50 in Port Hope to John, Jr. and Lucinda but we know nothing of its disposition.
May 25, 1893, Lucinda died and was buried at Maple Leaf Cemetery with John. In her will her house on lots 5 and 6, the south-west corner of Harvey and West St., a block from Sidney and Cordelia's house, went to Sidney subject to the payment of $185 to John. Calvin Johnson was the executor.
Sidney Sanderson Agar was born Oct. 14, 1847. On December 25, 1872, he married Cordelia D'Arcy Knapp, the daughter of Solomon M. Knapp who farmed lot 9, adjacent to the Agar's. Sidney and Cordelia has two children, Warren John and Chester Sidney. Sidney had a farm in Chatham township. According to "Kent", he had 142 ½ acres on Lot 9, River Road.
He apparently retired around 1908 and moved into Chatham where he was a member of First Presbyterian Church. Cordelia and Sidney were living at 130 St. Clair Street when Chester's children were christened there4. He died Feb. 28, 1928 and is buried at Chatham's Maple Leaf Cemetery. He had suffered a stroke some nine years earlier but had recovered substantially and had been ill only 4 days when he died5.
Shortly afterward, June 13, 1928, Cordelia made her will, naming Warren John and Chester's widow, Florence Emily, as executors. She gave the house on St. Clair to her granddaughter, Florence Mildred. Moneys, stocks and bond went to Florence Emily. Other household items, generally, went to the three grandchildren6.
Cordelia was killed in an auto accident Sept. 29, 1929 and is buried with Sidney7.
According to his obituary, he had been a car dealer in Milton but retired in 1923. In 1929, he lived on Queen St. in Chatham.
Rose Mackness was born in 1874 and died Feb. 24, 19479. It does not appear that they had any children. From Rose's obituary, we learn that the residence was 273 Queen St. and that she was also a member of First Presbyterian Church and was active in the Ladies' Aid Society.
Later, Warren married a second time, to the former Eva May Hitchin who died in April, 1964. Warren died June 9, 1964 and was interred in Maple Leaf Cemetery.
The had at least three children; Florence Mildred who married Laverne Dunlop of Kitchener in 193610, Doris who married Wilson Park in 192911 and Wilfred Gordon Agar. We do not know their birth dates, only that Florence and Mildred were christened at the home of Sidney and Cordelia on Feb. 1, 1908.
Chester worked on his father's farm and died rather suddenly Sept. 25, 1911 of peritonitis12.
Florence Emily died Nov. 5, 1973 at Wingham District Hospital. According to her obituary, Florence Mildred then lived in Wingham, Doris was Mrs. Walker Jenkins of Ft. Lauderdale and Gordon lived in Iona Station.
Circa 1855, John Brand bought Lot 10, Concession 1, from John Shuter Smith and John's father, Daniel, built for him a lovely home which still stands.. This house had passed out of their hands by the time of John's death in 1902 and he left to Eliza the house and tenements on the northeast corner of Rideout and Julia in Port Hope.
A book about attractive Ontario Homes, "Homesteads", by Margaret McBurney and Mary Byers, University of Toronto Pres, 1979, reveals that Eliza was such a meticulous housekeeper that few were invited inside.
The 1861 census indicates that John and Eliza were Presbyterian.
According to the 1871 census, John and Eliza Johnson Brand were living in Port Hope. There were no children in the household. There was an Irish servant, Ady Inglesby.
January 27, 1902, John Brand died and Eliza died May 9, 1910.
Alden Johnson's Line
In January, 1823, Mary Ann Lee, the future wife of Alden Johnson was born in England on the Cornwall cost in the town of Loo1 and the village of Church-a-Bridge, within sight of the Eddistone lighthouse. Alden was born August 42 (or August 243), 1824. Mary Ann came to Canada with her parents circa 1834.
Alden and Mary Ann were married Feb. 27, 1847. The Marriage Certificate indicates that Alden lived in Mariposa Twp. and Mary Ann in Hope Twp. The witnesses were Silas Johnson and Curtis Haskill. They first lived at Lindsay but then moved back to Port Hope. On May 24, 1848, Calvin Lee was born.
The 1851 census indicates that by this time Alden and Mary Ann were living on Lot 13, Concession 4 on ½ acre with two children. As Addie Eliza was born in 1852, it appears that there was an unknown child born between Calvin Lee and Addie Eliza.
Im 1856, Lucy Catherine was born.
March 24, 1857, Alden bought 50 acres, the southeast portion of Lot 26, Concession 5, from Fleming Ballagh for 455 pounds.
On July 1, 1957, Acheus Martin was born.
According to the 1861 census, Alden and Mary Lee were Wesleyan Methodist.
In 1861, Willis L. was born.
January 27, 12872, Alden sold the 50 acres in Lot 26 to James Henworth for $2250 and on February 22 he held an auction of his general effects, "being about to remove to the West" as the Port Hope Guide put it.
In 1881, Alden was appointed to the church trustee board in Blenheim4 where the church was about to appoint a building committee. Both he and his brother, Calvin, were subscribers to the new building.
In 1905, a snapshot was taken of the 81 year old Alden cradling wheat on a farm near Blenheim. Helen Rogers' opinion is that his granddaughter, Edith Fowler, took this picture as photography was one of her hobbies. Our copy is a rather poor photo-copy given to us by Betty Lewis Meade. Presumably, the original came down to her via Carrie Ann Johnson Lewis.
Mary Ann Lee Johnson died April 20, 19125 and was buried in Evergreen Cemetery in Blenheim, Ontario. According to her obituary, she had nineteen grandchildren and twenty great-grandchildren. We can identify 14 of her grandchildren - 12 children of Addie Eliza and two of Calvin Lee. Acheus evidently had no children but we know nothing of Willis or Lucy Catherine - and virtually nothing of her great-grandchildren.
On April 4, 19136, Alden made his last will and testament. He left to Acheus his land and premises on McGregor Street in Blenheim described as part of Lot #1 on the southerly side and parts of Lots 2 and 4 on the southerly side of Maxwell. He gave to his daughter Addie E. Johnson Fowler the home where he then resided, described as Lot #2 in Block "AN." There is also indication that his granddaughter, Edith Fowler, was caring for him as a housekeeper, and there was provision for her reward.
On May 23, 1913, per his gravestone, Alden died.
Calvin Lee Johnson
Calvin Lee Johnson was born May 24, 18587 at Port Hope. We do not know when he married Elizabeth Clarke. She was born Nov. 20, 18388 in or near Port Hope according to her obituary. They had two children, Isaac Edgar Alden, born Dec. 31, 1873, per his gravestone at Arnold cemetery, and Caleb Lee Clark, born Jan. 24, 1879.
On March 11, 1915, Elizabeth Clarke Johnson made her last will and testament, leaving everything to her two sons.
On September 12, 1918, Calvin Lee made his will. At the time, he was living in Louisville. He left his house and lots 11 and 12 in Louisville to his sons, Isaac and Caleb, to be divided among them. He left his gold watch to his grandson, Harold Lee Johnson, and his books to his three grandchildren - presumably, Harold Lee, Donald and Evelyn.
Elizabeth died December 2, 19239. Even though she was 85, she was quite active in Methodist church work up until the time of her illness. The funeral ceremony began at her residence in Louisville and went to the Methodist Church with interment at the Arnold Cemetery. Rev. Sweetman officiated.
On April 24, 192510 Caleb Lee Johnson died at the residence of his son, Caleb L. C. Johnson, 142 Lacroix St., in Chatham. Like Elizabeth's, his funeral began there and concluded at the Methodist Church with interment in Arnold Cemetery.
Isaac is buried with Calvin and Elizabeth at Arnold Cemetery.
They lived for a time in Sturgeon Lake District, Fenelon Twp., Victoria Co. where their first four children were born.
Reginald's father had come to Canada on the same ship that the Lee family did and had settled in the Lindsay area.
They moved to Proton Twp., Grey Co.12, where they lived on Concession 15 for a short time - Willis was born here. January 15, 1881, Reginald bought Lot 28, Concession 11 from John McQuarrie for $1500. Here seven more children were born.
Perhaps I should give further credit to Helen Rogers and the good luck that led to her. At some point in researching Alden, I'd found a newspaper article that referred to Addie Eliza of Dundalk. Dundalk doesn't appear on modern maps. Eventually came the first stroke of luck. I stumbled at some point on a reproduction of a 100-year-old map of Ontario and found Dundalk, somewhat south and east of Parry Sound. Later, after visiting friends near Owen Sound, we went for a drive toward where Dundalk may once have been. As I drove down a country road, I saw a mailbox with the name Fowler on it. My hopes rose sharply. I continued to the corner to turn around and saw an old cemetery. The sign said "Dundalk Cemetery". It was a small cemetery and I took a quick look. I immediate found Addie's grave and those of several others. I drove back to the farm I'd seen and went in. The people were extremely busy, getting ready to move into town, but we talked briefly. They were, indeed, descendants of Addie and Reginald and gave me Helen Rogers' address in B.C., indicating that she was the one that had researched the family's history. Subsequently, Helen provided to me photo-copies of several pictures, marriage certificates and notes on family members.
Following are the several children:
Alden 1874 - 1863
Lawrence 1875 - 1961
Gertrude 1877 - 1951
Martin 1878 - 1940
Willis 1880 - 1958
Fred 1882 0 1944
M. Edith 1884 - 1962
Edna Jane 1886 - 1948
Lewis Lee 1889 - 1970
Arthur G. 1890 - 1932
Chester Johnson 1893 - 1984
Bertha Harriet 1897 - 1974
January 9, 1891, Reginald bought Lot 29 for $1925 and it was added to the homestead. Lot 28 contained 102 acres, of which about 35 were cleared, plus a log cabin and a log barn. Lot 29 contained 99 acres. There were log buildings on the lot but very little cleared land.
The log house had a frame addition but on in 1891, then in 1902 the log part was replaced by a brick home. The telephone was but in about 1910. In 1941 a bathroom was installed and in 1948 electricity was a welcome addition.
Reginald died June, 1929 and Addie Eliza February 19, 1930.
Chester took over this farm in 1923 and his youngest farm, Mervin, in 1962. In April, 1988, the farm was sold and the Merv Fowler family was in the midst of moving when we called on them.
We are immensely indebted to the Fowler's for their generous welcome and for their thoughtfulness in contacting Helen Fowler Rogers who has provided so much information about Alden, Mary Ann and the Fowler line.
According to his obituary13, he retired around 1931. He was a member of the Maccabees and the Blenheim United Church although he attended the Park Street United Church in Chatham during his last four years when he lived with Caleb; i.e. from circa 1937 to 1941.
On May 27, 1939, Acheus made his will in which he left $1300 to his nephew, Caleb, and $50 each to three nieces; M. Edith Fowler, Edna Tutton and Hattie McQuarrie; three nephews, Lewis L., Fred N. and Chester J. Fowler and to his brother, Willis L.
Acheus died August 26, 1941 at Caleb's home in Chatham and was buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Blenheim. Acheus was the sort of person that families didn't talk too freely about. Frances Bodine, a Calvin Johnson descendant whom we found living in Livonia, near Detroit, would say only that "whenever we girls saw Uncle Achie around, we ran away."
He was buried at Arnold Cemetery in Louisville with his parents. It does not appear that he ever married or had children. It appears that none of the pallbearers were family members although the obituary says that members of the family attended the funeral.
Caleb was born January 24, 1879 in Chatham Township. On October 29, 190216 he married Ila Lucy Williams who was burn July 29, 1882. The ceremony was performed at the home of her parents by Rev. J. J. Nobel, of Louisville. According to her obituary, she was the daughter of an H. Williams who had been a schoolteacher at Darrell and, after his retirement, lived in Sarnia.
As noted elsewhere, the family residence was 142 Lacroix in Chatham.
Ila died August 19, 1927 in Windsor at the home of her sister, Mrs. Bauslaugh. She had been ill. for about a year and about six weeks before her death, she had gone to Windsor to seek treatment17.
They had four children: Clark, who died at birth on June 3, 1902; Harold Lee; Keith Davy, who lived only two years; Donald and Evelyn Lucy.
In his father's will, Caleb is described in 1925 as manager of the Singer Sewing Machine Co., in Chatham. In his mother's will in 1923 he is described as a merchant. In his obituary, he is said to have been employed at the Gray Carriage Works and later manager of the Singer Sewing Machine Co.
Caleb died November 20, 1949.
His son, Roy and family, too, over the farm when Lawrence and Isa moved into High River. Roy had three sons and a daughter. Lillian was a teacher and then married Bert Rowland. They had six children. Adda married Bill McGilvary and had a son and a daughter. Alice married Cliff Robins and had six children.
Most of the descendants live in Alberta. One grandson was with the D.E.W. line in the Arctic, another is a United Church Minister, another a house builder, several are prosperous farmers and another a nurse.
When Roy retired from the farm, he was at last able to follow his lifelong ambition to search for dinosaur sites. He was able to set up the dinosaur park near Brooks, Alberta.
George became a construction contractor before and after service in the Canadian Engineers during World War II. Evans worked as an accountant. Audrey trained at Toronto Sick Children's Hospital. Newton worked on the home farm until it was sold and then went West, settling in the Prince George, B.C. area with his family. Mae trained at Hamilton General Hospital and worked in the Hamilton area. Bertha took a business course and worked in Toronto. Rhoda helped at home until she married. Mearle became a teacher, teaching until retirement in Owen Sound. She married Fred Jolly.
Pauline drowned when a small child. Dorothy graduated from Calgary General, went to Vancouver and became a public health nurse. Gertrude took a business course before she married Lee Crawford, a Three Hills farmer. They have two children and four grandchildren.
Harold has worked in oil and mining, has been very active in the Air Cadet program. He and his wife, Carol, have a son, Chuck, who married in 1987.
The sons, Lorne and Chester, farm on the home farm and an adjacent one. Lorne and his wife, Grace, have one son, John. Lorne is quite musical and has played their church organ for many years.
Chester had a family of six. He has made quite a reputation with prize winning sheep.
Florence graduated from Calgary General Hospital. She married Dennis Weismann and they had three sons and a daughter. Dennis died while the family was quite young. She worked to support them.
His two sons were medical missionaries in New Guinea with the Seventh Day Adventist Church. Rodney and his family retired to Sydney; Reginald returned to Melbourne. Rodney had two sons and a daughter. His older son is an architect, also his wife. Reg had three sons and a daughter.
Chet and Ethel built a new home in Dundalk. From here, they celebrated their 40th, 50th and 60th anniversaries. Chet took up woodworking as a hobby and made many things. He had admired Grandpa Johnson's craft.
Helen trained at Owen Sound General and Marine Hospital. Then, she went west to Vancouver Island. In 1949, she married Bert Rogers. They followed the cedar pole cutting business up the Island until he passed away in 1981.
Delbert worked around Dundalk, then went to work in Toronto. He worked with a plumbing and heating company for many years and then in charge of maintenance of Knox Presbyterian Church in Toronto. In1950, he married Audry Ward. They have seven children.
Mervyn Reginald took over the home farm in 1963 until it was sold in 1988. He and Mary have three children.
She married Fred McQuarrie (1902 - 1981), a brother of Virene, who had married Martin Fowler. Fred and Hattie farmed at Ventry until they retired to Dundalk. They adopted Pauline when she was a young girl, after her mother died. She married in 1948 and has three children. She and her family live in the Bowmanville area east of Toronto. Fred and Hattie were active in local affairs and were caretakers of the Ventry Cemetery for many years.
The children of Caleb Lee Clark Johnson
Harold Lee was born in Chatham in 1905. He married Edna Vansickle who was born in 1907. He was a foreman with the Canadian Leaf Tobacco Co. and worked in Chatham until 1966 when he was transferred to Tillsonburg. He retired in 1970 and moved back to Chatham. His address in Chatham was 143 Churchill Drive.
He was a member of Park Street United Church. He died May 20, 1973 and was buried at Maple Leaf Cemetery.
Keith Davey was born Oct. 24, 1911 and died March 31, 1913.
Donald was said to be living in Toronto when Caleb died in 1949. When Harold Lee died in 1973, Donald was living in St. Catherines.
Evelyn Lucy married Alexander McDonald on September 22, 1927 at the Park Street United Church. Alex was born circa 1904 and also lived on Lacroix St. He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. McDonald. Her brother, Harold was the best man. Rev. Burton H. Robinson officiated. They had two children, Joan and Joyce. Evelyn died Sept. 18, 1968 at the Public General Hospital. She as a resident of Rondeau Park. At the time of her death, Joan (wife of Andrew Tate Hunter) lived in London and Joyce (wife of Robert Wilson Farley) lived in Brantford.
Alex died Dec. 1, 1985. At the time of his death, he was described as a former resident of Chatham, Rondeau Park and Lauderdale by the Sea. He died at the Willet Hospital in Paris. Given the proximity of Paris to Brantford, he may have been living with Joyce at the time of his death.
We have absolutely no information about this daughter of Justin except that LeFontaine Johnson's records said that she was born July 10, 1829 and died December, 1854.
Calvin Johnson's Line
Calvin Johnson was born June 25, 1834 per "Kent". There seems to be some confusion about his age when he died. An obituary says that his age was 75 years, 11 months. His gravestone gives his age as 89 years which is consistent with census records. On July 24, 1834, Nancy Elizabeth Hatch, daughter of William and Louise Haskill Hatch and the future wife of Calvin was born. They were married February 2, 1857. Louise Haskill was the daughter of Josiah Haskill, Timothy Haskill's brother. If Calvin's mother, Lucy, was a sister of Timothy, then Calvin was a first cousin, once removed to Nancy.
According to the 1861 census, Calvin and Nancy Johnson were Presbyterian. Lucinda Pauline was born June 3, 1860. Wilfred Warren followed March 9, 1862. He died in 1873. May 11, 1866, William Alden Johnson was born. Freeman Delmore was born May 22, 1868 and LeFontaine Frederick on March 4, 1871.
In November, 1870, Calvin sold his 20 acres on Lot 15 to James Elliott and on the 23rd held an auction sale of farm stock and implements.19
In January, 1871, Calvin sold his 100 acres on Lot 22, Concession 4 to Robert and Eliza Culver for $3500, taking a $2600 mortgage.
March 8, 1872, Hubert Hatch Johnson was born and in December of that year, almost two years after selling out in Port Hope, Calvin bought 100 acres, the northwest part of Concession 1, Lot 13, in Kent County, south of Blenheim, very near Shrewsbury and Rond Eau. He purchased the land from George Thompson for $5500, giving a $3800 mortgage. It appears from "Kent" that the family lived near Charing Cross in Raleigh township for a period prior to buying the farm.
February 4, 1880, Gertrude Ethel Johnson was born.
February 19, 188820, Nancy E. Johnson died and was buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Blenheim, Ontario.
In 1892, according to "Kent", Calvin moved into Blenheim and became an agricultural implement dealer but continued to far.
In February, 1902, Calvin sold his farm near Shrewsbury to Thomas W. Graham for $7425. January 14, 192321, Calvin Johnson died at the home of his son, William Alden, in Windsor and was buried with his wife, Nancy, at Evergreen Cemetery in Blenheim.
They had seven children22: Gertrude, February 20, 1886; Albert W., September 3, 1887; A. Edna, December 15, 1888, Addie M., November 16, 1890; Florence, December 13, 1892; Mildred I., December 13, 1894 and Hubert E., January 12, 1898.
By 1904, according to "Kent", they lived in Detroit. The 1903 Detroit Directory shows Edwards boarding at 872 Wabash Ave. and employed as a driver. In 1904, the Directory says his son Albert was living at 142 Breckinridge and Edward at 511 Willis Ave. West. The 1906 Directory shows all of them at 142 Breckenridge and they remained there until the 1917 Directory placed them at 238 W. Ferry Ave., roughly a block from Hubert H. Johnson's address.
Edward was a clerk at Stewart and Stewart. No further mention is found of Edward; LeFontaine's records indicate that he died August, 1925. Frances Kinnard Bodine, about whom more later, said that the girls forced him out and that Lucinda died at Receiving Hospital in her '80's, i.e. in the 1940's
Mrs. Bodine also said that Gertrude, A. Edna, Addie M. and Mildred did not marry. Florence Hagerman married an Arthur Lapham.
Evidently William and Jennie lived in Dresden in the 1890's. A daughter, Verna, was born in 1890, died in 1892 and is buried in the Dresden Cemetery. He appears to have had a mill in partnership with a Peter Powell23 (his cousin Lucy's husband?) and served as a judge of grains and seeds for the Dresden fair. The birth of a second daughter, Mary Fennel, was reported in the June 16, 1897 issue of the "Chatham Daily Planet." He also worked for a William Jamieson24 who had built his own generating plant circa 1899.
Early in the new century he was in business in Tilbury. The March 25, 1909 issue of "The Tilbury Times" includes an ad for his grain elevator and a news article in the same issue revealed that he had just bought a grocery from D. H. Edmonds. He was Master of Naphthali Masonic Lodge in 1905 and 1908.
The October 27, 1921 issue of "The Tilbury Times" reported that he sold his grain elevator to Smart and Hardy. He then moved to Windsor where he was a partner in Johnson-Turner Electric Co.
According to the "Border Cities Star" of February 22, 1925, William and his son-in-law, Robert Burns Turner, formed a partnership doing rewinding and rebuilding of electrical motors. William was secretary-treasurer. William provided business experience plus some electric experience, having built the first power plant in Dresden circa 1892. This is not consistent with the Dresden History's comments about William Jamieson cited above but R. B. Turner wrote the article.
Subsequent articles25 indicate that the business grew, expanding into additional shops in London and Chatham. As a contracting firm in 1949, it installed a new 50,000 transmitter at CKLW. The business closed November 15, 1958 when R. B. Turner retired. When William died, he owned 35.3% of the business per a copy of probate records acquired from Surrogate Court.
In addition to Naphthali Lodge, AF & AM, in Tilbury, William was an active member of the Scottish Rite and a member of Coronation Lodge, I.O.O.F. and of Chalmers Street United Church in Windsor.
The family residence was 646 Lincoln Rd., Walkerville.
William died November 3, 193626. Jennie lived until 1960. Both of them are buried at Dresden Cemetery, beside Verna. Mary Fennel was their only child to live to adulthood.
Freeman Delmore Johnson Freeman Delmore Johnson was born May 22, 1868 in Port Hope and died after 1936 but before 1955. He married Margaret B. Hastings October 4, 1892 and they had five children: Bertha, Morley, Jean, Arthur and Malcolm. They were said to have lived in Madison in 1904 and several later references place them in Elgin, Ill. in 1923 and 1936.
LeFontaine died of stomach cancer April 27, 192927. He had been active in the Odd Fellows Lodge and the funeral was under their auspices. He was buried in Lakeview Cemetery.
According to the Chatham Daily Planet of July 25, 1901, he married Effie Rachel Fletcher, the daughter of Mrs. J. Fletcher on July 24, 1901 at the home of Rev. J. M. McLaren. He worked at a mill in Blenheim and was a fireman there until 1901 when the family moved to Leamington. Edith said28 that "Fon", as he was generally known, received a watch when he left the fire department and that she gave the watch to Clarence. In Leamington, Fon had several jobs. At the time of his death, he was the gas and water commissioner and had served as the first secretary of the Hydro Commission from 1925 to 1929. His wife died December 2, 1950.
They had four children: Clarence (1902 - 1971); Edith (1903 - 1988); Freda ( - 1980); Effie (1908 - 1986). Effie and Freda never married. Effie worked at the local Rexall store and Freda worked for the Hydro Commission. Edith married Charles Hutchinson, a farmer, in 1947. They had no children. Edith worked at the local dime store.
Edith G. died in the care facility July 25, 1988. Upon her death, a substantial packet of family history material which LeFontaine had collected passed to Clarence Johnson's widow, Ola Johnson. She indicated when I reviewed the material that she would pass it on to her daughter.
He graduated from the Detroit College of Medicine in 1907 and married Florence A. Myers December 21, 1908 and served as a government physician on an Indian reservation in New Mexico and from 1914 to 1916 as public health officer in Ypsilanti, Mi. From 1916 until his retirement in 1949, he practiced medicine in Detroit, serving on the staff of Highland Park General Hospital.
Elwood C. was born October 29, 1913 and Heston Myers January 4, 1917; Florence died two days later. Hubert then married Maude Lucy Ewing September 20, 1919. She had been born July 12, 1875.
The 1917 Detroit Directory indicates that he lived at 184 Ferry Ave. and practiced medicine there. In the 1920's he lived at 140 Tyler Avenue in Highland Park and practiced there. By the late '20's, the residence was at 675 Robinwood Ave. in Highland Park and this was his residence until his death.
He was a member of Highland Park Lodge #468, F & AM and Highland Park Chapter, #150, R.A.M. and a Past Commander of Highland Park Commandery #53, Knights Templar.
He retired in 1949. Maude died in December, 1950 and Hubert died August 3, 1955 at Wy-Curt Hospital in Royal Oak and was buried at Woodlawn Cemetery after church services and a memorial service conducted by the Commandery. The "Detroit Times" obituary said that his address at the time of his death was 421 W. Eleven Mile, Royal Oak rather than the Robinwood address which the "Detroit News" and "Detroit Free Press"29 cited. The obituary also mentions that a brother, "Fon", survived, obviously an error. All three obituaries said that his son, Ellwood, survived. Ellwood has been said to be living in California. Frances Kinnard Bodine nearly refused to take my first call to her, thinking I'd said Ellwood rather than Elden. She wanted nothing to do with him.
"The Tilbury Times" of April 21, 1910 reported that she married Harry on April 20, 1910 at the home of her brother, William Alden, in a ceremony conducted by Rev. Currie of Blenheim. They were unattended. Harry worked for the Tilbury Telephone Co.
By 1915, he had moved to Windsor where he worked for Ford until his death. They had three daughters, Helen, born February, 8, 1911; Louise, born August 26, 191731 in Tilbury and Frances, born November 5, 1915 in Windsor32. Gertrude died Oct. 12, 1918. Harry later married Mary Ethyl Laird of Guilds (1888 - 1962) and he died in April 194433.
The 1917 Directory lists Edna as a stenographer at New England Mutual Insurance Co. The 1924, 1934 and 1940 Directories list her as a cashier. In 1953, she was a cashier with an address of 4810 Ivanhoe Ave. She never married.
This may be because of his address. A newspaper called the "Community News" reported on Jan. 6, 1955 that he died December 29, 1954 at the age of 45 and that he had lived in Detroit for 53 years, placing the Hagerman family in Detroit since 1901. He converted to Catholicism and the funeral was conducted at Verheyden funeral home and St. Clare of Montefalco Church. He was survived by his wife, Euphrasia Margaret, four sisters and one brother. Thus we have six of the seven children living at least until 1954. The obituary indicated that he had been a photo engraver for an advertising company. His widow later lived in Waterford, Mi.
Robert Burns Turner was born circa 1894. He wrote an article for the February 22, 1925 issue of "The Border Cities Star" which contained a good deal of puffery but revealed that Mr. Turner studied at the University of Michigan and at Carnegie Institute in Pittsburgh. He work career began in Chatham in 1910 with the Chatham Gas Co. followed by Canadian-Westinghouse at Hamilton, Packard Electric at St. Catherines, General Electric at Schenectady, Wagner Electric in St. Louis and Westinghouse Electric in Pittsburgh.
He served in WWI with the Royal Canadian Engineers and the RCAF but never served overseas. Robert and Mary had two children - Jayne who married Arn Musselman and died in 1969 and Mary Ida who married J. E. Campau. This marriage ended in divorce. Mary worked for a travel agency in Windsor.
Robert died in August, 197434 and Mary June 27, 1979. It is evident from her will that she preferred to be called "Fennel" rather than "Mary". Their residence at the time of Robert's death was 2067 Willistead Crescent in Windsor. When Fennel died, she was living in an apartment on Oulette.
Clarence retired in March 1966 and died November, 29, 1971. Ola lived in Redford twp. when I interview her but intended shortly to live with her daughter and son-in-law.
Ralph and Frances had three children: David, born August 19, 1953, who married Mary Kay Barry in April, 1987; Sandra Lee, born January 1, 1955 and Patricia Ann, born August 5, 1956.
Ralph died in 1966. When I tracked Frances down in the 1980's, she was living not far from us in Livonia. A marvelously cheerful and friendly lady, she shared a good many pictures and memories with us. On one occasion, she arranged for her sisters come to her home from Windsor, although they were quite frail, so that we could all have dinner together and tell stories. Frances died a few years ago of cancer.
Electa and Timothy's children were: Curtis L., the eldest 36, who died just before Electa's 100th birthday; Harvey, born circa 1821; Mary, born in either 1820, 1823 or 1835 as discussed earlier. Curtis was one of the witnesses to Alden's married in 1847. He took up new land near Little Britain, Mariposa Twp., Victoria County. He had a son, Ezra Curtis Haskill, who had a daughter, Inez Lillian Haskill. She was Harold Brookings' mother.
We have not been able to trace Harvey. Supposedly he had moved to Michigan by the time of his mother's 100th birthday.
Circa 1845, Mary Augusta Haskill married Henry V. McNeil who, according to his obituary, was born in February, 1818 in Ireland and had come to Upper Canada at the age of 2. They appear to have had four children: William Douglas, born 1847; Mary Jane, born 1848; Addelade Eckletta, born June 29, 1851 and Eliza Jane born 1855.
In 1855, about the time of the birth of Eliza Jane, he left and went to Farmersburg, Iowa, taking the three older children with him. He lived in Iowa for about 20 years. It was there that William married Jennie _____, Mary Jane married a Jim Watkins and Addelade married Charles Phillips. In 1870, Henry married a Mrs. Hattie A. Anderson and, in 1876, they moved to Colorado. He died in Colorado Springs on April 16, 1888 of bronchitis and TB.
July 1, 1868, Mary married John Doney, her second marriage, his third. "Wilson's Marriage Notices" cites The Christian Guardian, Toronto, November 7, 1849, saying that John Doney of Port Hope married Ann Tambleyn of Hope Township. By 1861, per the census, John was a widower, age 44, whose wife had died at age 40 in 1860. He had three children at home: Mary, 10; Margaret, 5; Francis, 3. John Doney at age 48 married Emlyn Pettiebridge, the daughter of Thomas and Mary Martyn on July 8, 1862. Finally, on July 1, 1868, he married for the third time - to Mary Haskill McNeil, 48.
The 1871 census indicates in their household the above three children plus Eliza Jane McNeil, 16. As noted earlier, Electa was then living with them.
John died October 15, 1886 in Port Hope. On October 13, he made his last will, leaving his estate to three sons -- John, Mathew and Francis - and three daughters, Mary Jane, Eliza Ann Martin and Margaret Adelina. The will identifies a Thomas Doney as a brother and Johnson Beatty as a brother-in-law.